O'Neals CA City Guide

O’Neals

O’Neals is a small community located off of Road 200 between Highway 41 and the town of North Fork.  It was named after Charles O'Neal who moved to California in 1857. Charles was the ranch manager for the Santa Rita Ranch, owned by cattle Baron Henry Hildreth.  Eventually Charles and his wife Bettie O’Neal purchased land in Spring Valley (the Gilmore-Mace Ranch). He became postmaster in 1887 and ran a general store and hotel. He decided to give this new community his name. Harmon Bigelow started up the Bigelow Telephone Co. in 1903 by running a phone line from his house to his in-laws. Mr. Bigelow also ran the The Bigelow Stage Line which serviced the areas of North Fork, Bass Lake and Sugar Pine.

Today cattle ranches are still dominant in O'Neals. The O’Neal family is still in the cattle business, along with other pioneering families in the area.

The Bigelow Telephone Company is now The Ponderosa Telephone Company. The small town has a population of 434.  There is a small elementary school on the outskirts of the area, the Spring Valley School, and there is also an up and coming winery, the Westbrook Wine Farm.


O'Neals Business Directory 

Art Galleries

Hen House Gallery

868-3473

 

 

 

Concrete/Road Materials

Outback Material

868-6223

 

 

 

Fire Department

O'Neals Volunteer Fire Dept.

868-3573

 

Rancheria Forest Fire Statioin

877-2322

 

 

 

Horses

Ron Balthazar Horseshoeing

868-3350

 

Minarets Pack Station

868-3405

 

Season's Stables

868-3350

 

 

 

Internet

Ponderosa Internet

868-6000

 

 

 

Museums

Heritage Discovery Center

868-8680

 

 

 

Post Office

O'Neals Post Office

868-3497

 

 

 

Schools-Public

Spring Valley Elementary

868-3343

 

 

 

Telephone

Ponderosa Telephone

868-6000

 

 

 

Television-Cable

Ponderosa Cablevision

877-7007

 

 

 

Transport/Trucking

Dwight Water Truck & Road Grading

868-3561

 

Outback Materials Transport

868-4238



O'Neals Weather (Current Conditions)

Visit the Widget Gallery